Password Protect Folders On Your PC
Just about every PC user has personal files that they want to keep, well, personal. This is not just related to Grand Pa’s 1937 collection of “glamor” shots but more and more work is being brought back from the office and we don’t want the kids hitting the delete button or making changes to important documents when we are not looking because it’s their idea of a joke.
Imagine having a PHd thesis wiped out because Mom hit the delete key because she thinks that is the way to close a program. It happens! From intruders to mischief makers to blissful ignorance there are a thousand ways to lose vital information from your computer.
Sure, we are told we should back up our data but you know what… why do bad things always happen at the wrong time, like just before the scheduled backup or whatever? Basically, we need real security protection so that intruders or unauthorized users cannot access, view, alter, copy, move, print or delete our important “stuff”.
I recently researched a number of folder protect software application and I really wanted something that was easy, reliable and, of course, secure. There are many such applications knocking around and most of them are garbage. One, I think the name was Free Folder Hider or something like, was so bad I lost a test folder. Imagine if that had real documents inside! Seriously, I installed and tried to unlock the folder to view the contents and it continually threw up a “Permission Denied – You Must Reboot” error.
This was not due to me typing the wrong access password it was the result of crap software that the CNet editors gave a score of 4 stars! Total Rubbish. Just to be fair, I run Vista most times, I downloaded again and installed on my XP computer with the same result. It also said the software was free which was a total misrepresentation.
That was the worst case scenario but many of these programs did not give me the “feel good” or trust feeling that I really wanted if I am going to be protecting my folder contents by locking them.
Here’s a screenshot from the actual Password Protect Folders website for you to take a look at:
Realistic Additional Security
I also wanted an enhanced, reasonable amount of security where it was not possible to access the folders or find the password by accessing the PC from a DOS boot.
Many folder protection programs do not reveal this flaw and let’s face it, nowadays any 12 year old can bypass Windows.
My eventual choice was a program called, strangely enough, Password Protect Folders.
It is not free but does have a 30 day trial with a few limitations, like you cannot protect folders over 50M and also the protecting external additional drives feature is disabled.
However, you have enough workable features and a reasonable amount of time to really get to know and become comfortable with this folder protection application.
The following is a direct cut and paste from the website so you can see the features for yourself right now.
What Password Protect can do for you
1. If your drive is lost or stolen, nobody will be able to access the contents of the folders you protected.
The password is always required to open locked folders. No matter if your drive is connected to another PC running in Windows Safe Mode, DOS, Linux or Unix, folders always retain their protection.
2. Password Protect is safe. If your Windows crashes, you will not lose your data. You will be able to unprotect your folders. The program does not store passwords in the Windows registry or on your hard drive. Learn how Password Protect processes passwords.
3. Lock a folder in Windows Explorer. You don’t even need to run Password Protect from the Start menu. Simply right-click a folder is the right pane of Windows Explorer and select Protect This Folder.
4. Unprotect a locked folder with a double-click in Windows Explorer. No need to run the program. Just double-click the folder in the right pane of Windows Explorer and enter the password.
5. Get helpful customer support. Our customer support is free and always available. We’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have about Password Protect. Click here to contact us.
6. Feel how friendly Password Protect is. The software program comes with an easy to use step-by-step wizard to select and protect your folders.
So, you can see why I like this software and I can unhesitatingly say that if you are looking for a solution to safely and effectively protect your files then head over to the Password Protect Folders site to download the free trial.
PS As I use this software myself you may ask me any questions you like. Contact me via my Help Desk.